Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Strawberry Fields Again

 So my little trip out earlier this week was to attempt to get some good footage of Red Avadavats, a tiny red bird often called the Strawberry Finch. So, kick-off was 3:45am (stupid o'clock) for a 2.5-hour drive.  I love driving at this time of the morning; no traffic. Well, I arrived just before 6am and got set up. At first, there were literally hundreds of House Sparrows, with a few Eurasian Tree and Plain-backed Sparrows.

Eurasian House Sparrow
Eurasian House Sparrow
Plain-backed Sparrow
Plain-backed Sparrow

 It wasn't long before a pair of Blue-breasted Quails (or King Quails if you prefer) appeared from the grass. They had a little feed on some scattered grain before sauntering back from whence they came.

Blue-breasted Quail
Blue-breasted Quail (M)

Blue-breasted Quail
Blue-breasted Quail


Blue-breasted Quail
Blue-breasted Quail (F)


Another great sighting was that of a Thick-billed Warbler, quite far off, but not too shabby a picture.

Thick-billed Warbler
Thick-billed Warbler


Finally, the Reds came, albeit very briefly. I only took one picture as I was mainly focusing on video. These really are up there with the most awesome coloured birds in my book. Not a bad picture, but you will see more in the video coming soon. (Don't forget to check it out this weekend)


Red Avadavat
Red Avadavat


Not a bad spot to visit, but if you want to go there, drop me a line, and I will put you in touch with the monk who takes care of the site, as the land is private and not really publicly accessible, and it is only common courtesy to inform him of your impending visit if you would like to go. There is no fixed charge to visit, but a small donation to the temple would be greatly appreciated.

My other target to video for the morning was the Yellow-eyed Babbler, a bird that always eludes me.. Well, next time.

As I mentioned, please don't forget to check out my YouTube channel for this and many more bird videos, and don't forget to share it with your friends. 

https://www.youtube.com/@Birding-with-Brian

That's all for now. I also made a little cooking video of cheesy baked spinach, so if you would like to see that, comment Yes in the comments box below... See-ya


Cheesy Baked Water Spinach





No comments:

Post a Comment